Wednesday, August 12, 2009

All the way from Las Vegas - DUSTY SUMMERS!!!!

For all of you that have gotten to know me, you know that I am a total burlesque nerd - I love to read about the history of burlesque, I read constantly about shows and stars all over the globe, shoot, I even follow a bunch of burlyq folks and businesses on my Twitter. I get so excited and nervous when I meet one of my idols - when I met Michelle L'Amour back in March I almost cried, and I'm surprised that I could talk to her without stammering! Well, here is another one of those moments - I have the distinct pleasure and honor of interviewing none other than the Nude Magician herself, Dusty Summers! I can't express how lucky I feel to have such an honor! Read on to hear about the way burlesque was, her career, and some GREAT tips for anyone who wants to learn the biz.

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket


1.) Tell us a little about your burlesque career as the Nude Magician!

I started as a bikini go go girl in about 1966 in Phoenix, AZ. Less than a year later, I was doing my first strip in a theatre in downtown Phoenix that was trying to revive burlesque! Chris Starr, a burlesque queen from the 50’s, was the choreographer and gave me the name Dusty. In the next few years I worked mostly as a topless go go dancer who also did a strip tease which made me unique at the time.

Eventually, I got an agent and became a full time exotic. When I was booked into Surfside Seven in Ft. Walton Beach, Florida, I met and later married the comic/magician Professor Turban. He taught me magic.

In about 1975 I was booked in the Royal Las Vegas in Las Vegas in a show called “Olde Tyme Burlesque.” In the years following I worked in several showrooms in Las Vegas when I wasn’t touring the rest of the country and Canada.

In 1983 I opened my own burlesque club Dusty’s West in San Angelo, Texas. In 1992 I left the entertainment world and went to work at Circus Circus in Las Vegas, first as a dealer, then as a pit boss.

I also wrote and published two books; The Lady is a Stripper/ Memoirs of Las Vegas’ Only Nude Magician, and The Golden G-String and earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Business Administration.

Photobucket
Photo taken at 2009 Miss Exotic World, by Ed Barnas


2.) How has burlesque changed, from your point of view?

Shows are MUCH shorter and the girls are performing much less frequently. Very few are earning a living in burlesque.

3.) The burlesque scene has soared in popularity in recent years, with movies, books and celebrities like Dita von Teese representing our culture. Do you feel that the standards have had to change for performers, to meet the popularity?

I think audiences nowadays expect immediate gratification. They don’t have the patience for the slow tease of the old days. Most young people don’t know the difference between burlesque and lap dancing but I think that as they are exposed to the glamour, tease, fun and entertainment of today’s enthusiastic, talented burlesque performers they will want more.

Photobucket


4.) Describe one of the best moments in your burlesque career, and one of your most challenging.

There have been many great moments during my burlesque career including starring in my own show on the Strip in Las Vegas, touring this country, performing in Canada (where the audiences are fantastic) and performing at my first Exotic World event in 2006. It is fun reconnecting with the women I worked with long ago. I love meeting the new stars of today’s burlesque scene and seeing them perform.
It is challenging to try to put on a show today that justifies the admiration of the neo burlesque crowd. I could never have imagined years ago that I would be performing again in burlesque at my age!

5.) What is your involvement currently in burlesque?

So far it has been limited to appearances at Exotic World in Las Vegas and the Boston Burlesque Expo in Boston but I am planning on performing in Los Angeles with Lili VonSchtupp sometime this fall and most likely in various Texas venues. I would like to perform in more of the burlesque festivals around the country if I can afford it. I really enjoy sharing my experiences with today’s performers and helping them when I can.

6.) What advice would you give to today’s burlesque performers?

Enjoy yourself onstage. When or if it isn’t fun anymore, QUIT! Keep it classy and keep smiling.

Thank you so much Dusty for sharing your story with us!

Cheers!

Vivienne

No comments:

Post a Comment