Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Lady Divina

Unless you have been living under a rock, chances are you know about the fabulous woman who I will be interviewing this week. She personifies elegance, grace, and timeless beauty (you'd swear she was born in the wrong time period.) She is Lady Divina, the raven haired entertainer who has been a beacon in the DFW burlesque scene. She, along with Diamond Jim, have brought many famous burlesque entertainers to DFW, including Michelle L'Amour, Kitten DeVille, and soon Kalani Kokonuts and Rene L'Roux! Her penchant for classic burlesque keeps her legion of fans begging for more, and her attention to detail (right down to the rhinestoned stilettos) make women everywhere drool (including me, she got me hooked on Swarovski's!) Read on to discover more about your beloved Divina!


PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

1.) How did you get into burlesque?

I have always been in love with the 30’s and 40’s era. I’ve seen Dita von Teese three times in Dallas and I fell in love with the art of the tease. I’ve always talked about dabbling in burlesque and pin-up modeling. I finally got into pin-up modeling a few years ago and Jill Rasco, one of my favorite photographers asked me to do a burlesque number in her website launch party at the Church. Well, the rest is history!


2.) Who are your main influences?

I would have to say, even though I have the upmost respect for Dita von Teese, it is her contemporary, Catherine D’Lish who has inspired me the most. She is the reason I wanted to give burlesque a try. I am also influenced by the sirens and femme fatales of the silver screen, Mae West (we are born on the same day), Ava Gardener, Heddy Lamarr, and Elizabeth Taylor.


3.) You are known for your beautiful routines decked out in Swarovski crystals... how long does it take you to finish a costume generally?

Some of my costumes can take a few weeks, but most of them take a few months. Hand-placing Swarovskis on costumes can take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks. Most of my corsets are custom made from a corset maker from California. I currently have a costume that is being custom made by my costume consultant friend, which may take over a month for the gown alone, not including the thousands of Swarovskis rhinestones that will be hand placed on the lace.






4.) What has been a challenge for you this year, and what has been your biggest accomplishment?

My biggest challenge is this year is keeping up with the high standards, as the Dallas burlesque community keeps raising the bar with each and every performance. There are some fabulous and creative talent that is wowing the audiences with over the top numbers and routines. I’m trying my very best to keep up with dazzling costumes and bigger routine ideas.
My biggest accomplishment is that our show is constantly booking national talent & the brightest local performers. WE have one of the best stages in town to call home to our productions (see Lakewood Theater).


5.) Having accomplished so much this year, and so many more things in the works, how do you blow off steam and keep sane?

I do a lot of bicycling, it’s great exercise and very therapeutic. Pasty making is also therapeutic for me; there is a method and process to it, which I enjoy.


6.) What is in store for La Divina and La Divina Productions in the future?

I got some great shows coming up in the very near future. We just finished our Dallas debut of Naked Girls Reading, created by our favourite Chicago performer, Michelle L’amour. The show was a huge hit and we are currently working on the next show for mid November. This month we have the Nouvelle Burlesque at the Lakewood Theater, which the winner of the burlesque competition will get a spot in our Burlesque Nocturne Revue in October. The Burlesque Nocturne will arguable be our most extravagant show, featuring the current Reigning Queen of Burlesque, Kalani Kokonuts. Visit www.ladivinaburlesque.com for more details.
And by no means are we slowing down from there! We have two shows that are in the works, including one with a huge burlesque celebrity, Catherine D'Lish! So, keep tuned to the Dallas website, www.dallasburlesque.com.

If Divina says it is exciting, then you better believe I'll be on board! I went to the Naked Girls reading with my friend Cayla of Decadent Dame Designs, and let me tell you, do not miss the next one! It is a fun event that you will never forget!

Keep on the lookout in the next week, I have brought on Ms. Vinny Velour, a newcomer to the burlesque scene, to be a guest writer for the Daily Shot! Give her a shoout out when she makes her debut post, let her know how much you love her!

Cheers!

Vivienne

1 comment: