Friday, July 3, 2009

Welcome to the Daily Shot - Pixie O'Kneel, coproducer for Bewitching Burlesque!!

I absolutely love what I do - I dance, I create my costumes, and I get to meet some of the most beautiful, intelligent, and strong women. My interview for today is one of my absolute favorite people - she is a role model of mine, and she is one of the strongest women I have the privilege of knowing . Ms. Pixie O'Kneel is here to tell you all about her foray into burlesque, being a mama in many different forms, and her fried chicken!

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket



1.) What got you into the burlesque world?

When Glam'Amour produced the first Bewitching Burlesque event, I wanted to be the panty wrangler so bad because I figured it was the easiest way to at least get my foot in the door and here I am!...I have always loved anything that has to do with dressing up, getting on stage, or dance. When I was little, my cousin and I peeped at my Uncle's Penthouse and Playboy magazines, and I thought those girls were so pretty and it was okay with me that they were naked and wanted to be in one of those magazines. Then when I was in college, I wanted to try my hand at stripping but, was too chicken shit....I figure being involved with Bewitching is the best way for me to fulfill those dreams I had given up on.

2.) Give us a little insight into what you do for Bewitching.

Well....I am in charge of the back of the house and Glam'Amour is in charge of the front of the house...Kinda sounds like we're running a brothel, doesn't it?...Anyway, I help with the selections during the audition process, write posts for the Bewitching Burlesque blog, help with advertising, and other pre-production things like that. When we have an event, I am the Stage Manager...As the Stage Manager, I make sure they show runs smoothly and on time and that all of the props,performers and panty wranglers are where they need to be when they need to be there with what they need.

3.) I have had the privilege of both performing with you and having you be my
stage mama - What are the biggest joys of both of those positions for you?

As Stage Mama, the biggest joy is when the performers and panty wranglers tell me they have had such a good time at an event I am in charge of and that it was a positive experience for them. That is so important to what Glam'Amour and I are striving to provide with Bewitching. We want everyone, no matter their experience, age, or size to get to live their dream of being a star, even if it is just for one night and having a positive experience while doing it.

As a performer, my biggest joy is when I take that stage and there is a woman in that audience who sees me and I look like her...A big girl, who doesn't have a perfect body anymore, up on that stage, saying what I've got to say, and having a fuckin' awesome time, and people are cheering...Then she goes home and thinks on it for a while and decides "if Pixie O'Kneel can get up there and do that, then I can do it too."...And she is inspired to follow whatever dream her heart desires, whether it is burlesque, or whatever she thought she couldn't do because of her weight, her age, or whatever else she is letting her keep her from pursuing her dreams...She knows it is okay for her to follow those dreams.

Photobucket


4.) What has been one of the biggest challenges you have faced as a Bewitching
producer? Biggest rewards?

The biggest challenge for me is that I don't know how to deal with people very well. I have a hard time letting people down easy and being PC. I think everyone should just be able to suck it up and keep on rollin'. Lucky for me, Glam'Amour had that skill and is like Thumper's Mom reminding Thumper what his Daddy told him...."If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."

The biggest reward for me is that I get to be a part of the craziness that is Bewitching Burlesque. I was completely freaked when Glam asked me to be her partner, I was like, wtf!, there are so many people who have more knowledge and connections than I do that would be SO much better at this than me. But she sees in me what I don't see in myself, foul mouth and all!

5.) What is a major goal that you wish to achieve in the coming months with
Bewitching? What are some upcoming things that my readers should look forward
to?

Right now, my biggest goal is to make Bewitching Burlesque something with staying power...There are so many people who venture out and try new things, and for whatever reason, they fail. I want Bewitching Burlesque to be something Glam and I do until we're were old old ladies!

Well, we have our Mid-Summer Masquerade on August 8th at the Carrollton Plaza Arts...This is going to be a fab event...We have some awesome, awesome performers and vendors scheduled...There is going to be a costume pageant with some wonderful prizes...It's BYOB...And there is even going to be a photographer set up to take your picture, like at the Prom, you know, but WAY better!

We have Gifts and Garters coming up on December 5th at Excuses Cafe...We've partnered up with Through the Looking Glass Studio for a shopping/burlesque show EXTRAVAGANZA...It's going to so cool...I guess the easiest way I can explain it would be a "counter culture" arts and crafts show and burlesque show on crack!!

And we are already planning some rockin' stuff for 2010...It will be here before you know it!


6.) What are 3 things people would be surprised to know about you:

1) I am actually painfully shy...New people and places scare the bloody hell out of me.

2) I am the proud Mama of 2 teenage boyos...The oldest is 18 and graduated from high school last month...The youngest is 17 and will be a Senior in high school in the fall.

3) My fried chicken is so good you'll pee your pants! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment