Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Michelle L'Amour

Michelle L'Amour, Miss Exotic World 2005, is an international burlesque sensation. She has performed for millions of people both in person and on TV, with her appearance on the 1st season of America's Got Talent. She resides in Chicago where she owes Studio L'amour, Chicago's only burlesque dance school. Michelle also runs the Chicago Starlets and produces shows with Franky Vivid. L'amour's newest project is Naked Girls Reading. It began in Chicago and has since opened in Denver and Dallas, and is soon coming to New York, New Orleans, and Key West.

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Photos by Pez, NakedLens.Org and Sopheava


1.) You have a degree in accounting, correct? How did you get into burlesque from there?

Yes, I have a degree in finance. Bleh. I suppose it's helping me now in my career because I own a production company and a dance school, but I much prefer the burlesque. I got into burlesque after college. I was approached by Franky Vivid to choreograph and dance in a burlesque show. I said, 'sure', not really knowing what it was all about. But, once I heard the music, I was hooked and knew exactly what to do. I have a background in classical dance, but they don't teach you this is those classes! I had been training for this my whole life before I even knew what it was.

2.) What performance/venue/location have/do you love to perform at? Why?

I love to perform at the Music Box Theater in Chicago. It's a gorgeous 750 seat, 80 yr. old movie house. It has a great red curtain and so much character. I love it!

3.) Tell us a little about a challenge you've faced this year, and about a great achievement!

I think one of my proudest moments was selling out the Music Box Theater this year. That audience was great and it felt awesome performing for them. The challenges I've had have been many. It's difficult to balance running a dance school, running a company, and traveling to pursue my own career. I think all is working out nicely now that I'm in a groove.

Photobucket
Photo by Sopheava


4.) Where do you get the inspiration for the creative ideas and events you come up with (ie Naked Girls Reading) ?

Well, I was reading naked at home and Franky found me and he realized he always had a thing for that image. Then we started joking about an event called Naked Girls Reading and we bought a website. We thought we would just do this on the internet and we sat on it for about 2 years. Then when I opened the studio, I thought it might be cool to do it as a live event. So, here we are! We started it at the studio in March of 2009. We thought we couldn't just keep this event to ourselves so we opened it up to other cities.

5.) I have the pleasure of meeting both you and Frankie back in March, and he's a doll! Tell us a little about your onstage wedding at MEW this year!

I was super nervous! I performed right before the wedding and I don't even know what happened in the performance, because I knew what was about to happen. The piece I did was on a giant heart and it ends with me getting all oiled up. In order to get married, I had to wipe the oil off me before I put on the wedding address. I made it a spectacle and had the Chicago Starlets wipe off my oil and dress me for the wedding while I was on stage. Then, I went to Franky and Miss Astrid married us in an eye patch. I was very happy for the comic relief because I'm super sappy and didn't want to cry the entire time. I cried a lot anyway because I can't help myself.

6.) Any goals for this year?

I would like to open more Naked Girls Reading in other cities. I would like to take a honeymoon. I would like to take over the world. :-)

7.) Make up and answer your own question

Would the world be a better place if people just agreed with me?
Yes, yes it would.

I've had the pleasure of seeing Michelle perform many times and she just gets better every time! I saw the full "Most Naked Woman" routine in New Orleans at the Fest and MAN! The heart shaped bed is just the TOPPING on the cake! Word is that she may be coming a comeback to Dallas next spring... keep tuned to my blog and I will let you know ALL the details as they arise!

Cheers!

Vivienne

1 comment: